Well well well, London has gotten itself all covered in snow. Of course, this happens every year but the authorities still seem surprised. 'Snow, in winter? My goodness, who would have seen that coming? Briggins, did you know it was going to snow?' 'Of course not sir. How could we possibly have predicted this?'
Heathrow airport is currently closed, so I am sitting on the floor in Cairo. Egypt is not the UK, but it is surprisingly close to Israel, my eventual destination. If it wasn't for the fact that I have to collect my mother, I would just go catch a bus to Israel... or walk like Abraham did.
Enough of that. We can't change the weather. We can't change the British. Let's talk about Africa again.
Since leaving the wonderful environs of the Sisters' compound in Mbulu, I took the long trek back to Arusha for two days of farewells. Mbulu is so remote that the dala dala (minibus) for the first section was a Land Cruiser. In Arusha, I spent a few days saying goodbye to Joachim, playing basketball at his university and finally feeling at home. Of course it would happen at this time.
Next it was back to Nairobi. This is a city I like to describe as a big bully. It has a relentless energy that never lets you take a breath, not that you would want to given the pollution. I rode the matatus (Kenyan dala dalas) to my aunty Susan's place in the Huruma slums. She is a Missionary of Charity and the sisters here do an incredible job. They have four communities of sisters and one of brothers in Nairobi, which should give you some idea of the job they are facing.
For two days I decided to take a little camping trip on my own to a tiny National Park called Hell's Gate. I took a matatu to Hell's Gate. Amusing. Interestingly, the Kenyan government gave me a big discount on my entry to the park because I am a Tanzanian resident. This is interesting because Tanzania gives no discount for Tanzanian residents in its National Parks. Stingy Tanzanians. Cheers, Kenya!
Hell's Gate is stunning. It is the only National Park where one does not require a vehicle. In fact, they actively encourage visitors to hire bicycles and peddle their way through the park. I did just that. Riding silently through a narrow valley (part of the bigger rift valley), I was able to gently approach giraffes, zebras and warthogs. It doesn't matter how gently you approach a klingspringer, they run off anyway. Nervous buggers. Eagles nesting in the cliffs take off and glide effortlessly above. Yes, Hell's Gate National Park is stunning in just such a way that only David Attenborough could explain.
There's not much else to say really. East Africa is a contradictory place so any broad generalisation I could make would be wrong. Yes I befriended a drug dealer, but he fixed my shoes cheap. Yes there is violence, but there is also beautiful generosity. Yes it is chaotic, but people are also laid back.
We have just been told that we are to be put up in a five star hotel until our plane leaves. We have also been told that a trip to the pyramids is on the cards if we are delayed long enough. That's pretty cool. So my next blog will be from Israel... or Egypt... or Italy... or anywhere really. As long as it is from Mum.
http://sallyoverseas.blogspot.com/

No comments:
Post a Comment